5.3 Implement Hardening Routers (5.3.4 Adhere the steps to harden the…
5.3 Implement Hardening Routers
5.3.1 Define Router, Metric, Algorithm and IOS
• A router is a device or, in some cases, software on a computer, that determines the best way for a packet to be forwarded to its destination.
• Algorithm is an unambiguous specification of how to solve a class of problems. Algorithms can perform calculation, data processing and automated reasoning tasks.
• Metric is used by a router to make routing decisions. A metric is typically one of many fields in a routing table.
Cisco IOS (originally Internetwork Operating System) is a family of software used on most Cisco Systems routers and current Cisco network switches.
5.3.2 Routing principles and operation modes
• Routing is the process of moving a packet from one device to another on a different network, and this is done by, the router.
• The routers offers different operation modes that can be used such asRepeater Mode, AP Mode and Media Bridge.
5.3.3 Identify TCP and UDP server proxy and various tools
• The TCP-UDP-proxy is a low precedence policy that allows all outbound TCP and UDP traffic from network to be protected.
• This policy only allows outbound TCP and UDP traffic, but it also monitors that traffic for HTTP, HTTPS, SIP, and FTP packets sent on non-standard ports.
5.3.4 Adhere the steps to harden the router
• Disable unused router interfaces.
• Disable unused services.
• Disable management protocols that are not been used.
• Disable features that are techniques for re-directing the network traffic.
• Disable gratuitous ARP and proxy ARP
• Disable IP-directed broadcasts
5.3.5 List the ways to secure the router
• Frequently change the Admin login information.
• Enable the router firewall.
• Access the Admin panel using Ethernet.
• Change the default SSID.
5.3.6 Explains routing command, routing types and routing protocols
• Route is the command used to view and manipulate the IP routing table in Unix-like and Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and also in ReactOS. Manual manipulation of the routing table is characteristic of static routing.
• There are many kinds of major type of routing protocols such as OSPF, RIP, and IGP.
5.3.7 Apply ACL based on security policy
• An access control list (ACL) policy, or ACL policy, is the set of actions, controls, or permissions.