• Septal nucleus and basal nuclei: Projects to forebrain.
• Midbrain nuclei: Projects to reticular formation, pons, cerebellum, and cranial nerve nuclei.
• The pontomesencephalotegmental complex acts mainly on M1 receptors in the brainstem, deep cerebellar nuclei, pontine nuclei, locus coeruleus, raphe nucleus, lateral reticular nucleus and inferior olive. It also projects to the thalamus, tectum, basal ganglia and basal forebrain.
• Basal nucleus of Meynert acts mainly on M1 receptors in the neocortex.
• Medial septal nucleus acts mainly on M1 receptors in the hippocampus and parts of the cerebral cortex.